OUR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
OUR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM EXPLAINED!
The Future Possibilities for Kids Volunteer Program relied heavily on our volunteers who were trained and vetted through our volunteer program. At the heart of the program is the Kid Coach, a volunteer mentor that works to inspire and empower Kids to reach their fullest potential.
KidCoach volunteers work closely with the Kids in the program, virtually mentoring the Kids through a guided program. KidCoaches work with a volunteer Crew Captain who in turn support the KidCoach.
KIDCOACHES IN READY, SET, GOAL!
Ready, Set, Goal! is a fully remote seven-month leadership development program that matches a child between the ages of 9-12 with their own volunteer KidCoach. Through weekly phone or video calls using a guided Activity Book, the KidCoach supports the child in growing their leadership skills and in setting and accomplishing a Goal of Contribution – a goal that benefits their community.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct 30+ minute weekly phone/video calls with a Kid over a seven-month period
- Submit an online check-in report after each call
- Connect with Crew of fellow KidCoaches and Kids
- Actively participate in 4 virtual Crew Talks + Activity Days
- Engage in on-going communication with a Crew Captain
- Join other volunteer events (socials, skill-development workshops, meet-ups, etc.)
- Attend end of program year virtual celebration called POP! Fest
- Be at least 18 years of age at the start of the program
- Have access to a phone/video for weekly calls
- Have access to a laptop/tablet device with video conferencing capabilities
- Submit a KidCoach application
- Pass an interview & reference check
- Complete KidCoach Training
- Obtain a cleared police check
Kidcoach applications are no longer being accepted
What Kidscoaches are
They increased their knowledge of how to build young people’s confidence to do things on their own
Are extremely likely to promote the KidCoach role to others
They can apply lessons from their experience to their personal & professional lives
- Believes in & encourages Kids to take the lead on their own journey
- Able to create a non-judgmental space that allows for ideation and creative expression
- Positive and reliable support for Kids
- Passionate about giving back to their communities
- Inspires others to grow and stretch themselves while learning from mistakes
- Highly adaptable and flexible to change
- Accountable to program commitments
A Crew Captain is an experienced volunteer who leads a group or what we call, a Crew, of Kid and KidCoach pairs. Crew Captains are the first point of contact for KidCoaches and provide ongoing communication and coaching support. Crew Captains also mainly lead the facilitation of Crew Talks & Activity Days, and are responsible for sharing program related updates with their Crew. Check out last year’s Crews here!
Once matched with a Kid, you will have the first call during week one of the program to decide to have weekly phone or video calls. Together, you will choose a main call time, as well as a back-up call time in case you miss the main designated call time.
- Preparing and showing-up for the call
- Follow along the Ready, Set, Goal! curriculum (Activity Book)
- Go through 25 sessions together + 3 Booster Calls
- Providing guidance for Kid in creating, planning and implementing a Goal of Contribution
Possibility Thinking is the idea that anything is possible with creativity, determination, and optimism. At FPK, we believe it is an important tool and the driving force of success for both children and adults. Possibility Thinking involves thinking outside of the box and finding creative solutions to problems while not giving up and remaining optimistic in the face of challenges. Staff and volunteers at FPK promote and inspire Possibility Thinking by engaging Kids with curiosity, mindfulness, and acknowledgements. Our Programs provide creative opportunities where new, fun, and even wild ideas are encouraged.